Senior Health and Safety Specialist at Standford University
To apply, please visit: https://stanford.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=76846&lang=en
The BGM/SEM safety program offers an innovative, exciting and meaningful work opportunity that allows you to make a real difference in the organization and the employees’ safety, health and well-being. We support a wide variety of trades posing interesting challenges which promote collaboration, flexibility and objectivity for the growth of our organization and our valuable employees.
Under minimal supervision, performs complex technical work in a wide range of environmental, health, and safety disciplines to ensure a safe work environment and to achieve compliance with the Land, Buildings and Real Estate’s environmental, health, and safety standards, Stanford University and governmental regulatory requirements. Additionally, develops and supports the Energy Operations (EO) safety program. EO is responsible for the Campus’ innovative sustainable energy system and Central Energy Facility (CEF).
- Develops and implements safety processes, programs and technologies.
- Acts as a lead or technical expert, providing functional direction, and developing/delivering training in the overall application of health and safety programs.
- Conducts comprehensive, independent compliance assurance reviews of environmental, health, and safety policies and procedures; prepares accompanying management reports, documentation, and evaluations.
- Maintains communication with the BGM/SEM Safety Director and operational groups in resolving technical problems and/or bringing problems to the department’s attention.
- Responds to all critical EHS and risk situations.
- Works under consultative or self-initiated direction to develop, implement, and maintain programs, systems, and procedures necessary to ensure the overall safety and health of LBRE employees and the community.
- Monitors and prevents potential hazards and unsafe conditions that could be present in the work area.
- Investigates accidents, incidents, injuries, and complaints concerning potential hazards or unsafe conditions in the work place.
- Recommends and implements improvements in processes, design, procedures, and operating equipment to minimize the hazard potential.
- May lead a team responsible for developing and implementing environmental and/or safety programs.
- Other duties may also be assigned.
Qualifications MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in arts/science in related allied/scientific field and seven years of experience in occupational safety and health, emergency response/management, risk management, and/or allied/scientific field; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
The desired candidate will have knowledge and experience with electrical safety, confined spaces, fall protection, hazard communications and control of hazardous energy. Working experience with electrical and other energy distribution systems is preferred, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to develop written programs, training material, and other safety informational material with reliability and sustainability.
- Ability to research, reference, learn and interpret and interpret specific government agency requirements (statutes, regulations, licenses, and permits), industry standards, and university policies.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with both labor and management; ability to explain technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct effective health and safety surveys, quantitative and qualitative exposure/ risk assessments, and complex data analyses; ability to provide recommendations for exposure/risk control.
- Working knowledge of the scientific and technical aspects of various regulatory and industry requirements and potential impact on assigned work area(s).
- Demonstrated coaching ability
- Must have a genuine concern for people.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Certified Safety Professional strongly preferred.
- Frequently stand, sit, and perform desk based computer tasks.
- Frequently use mobile devices (mobile phone, iPad or similar), write by hand.
- Kneel, walk, crawl, climb ladders, reach/work above shoulder, twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, write by hand, sort and file paperwork or parts, operate foot and/or hand controls, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh 40 pounds or more.
- Must wear personal protective equipment as defined/required by job assignments.
- May be exposed to high voltage electricity, and rarely exposed to electromagnetic fields, lasers, noise > 80dB TWA, allergens/biohazards/chemicals or asbestos, or heavy metals
- May work in confined spaces or at heights ≥10 feet or other potentially hazardous environments.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations. Must be pro-active, flexible, and adaptable to the changing needs of the client groups.
- When conducting university business, must comply with the California Vehicle Code and Stanford University driving requirements.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including, but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Job: Health and Safety
Location: Land, Buildings and Real Estate
Job Code: 4383