The San Francisco Chapter’s Role in the ASSE-ASSP Name Change
Posted - Dec 06, 2017
This past August, ASSE members made the historic decision to change the organization’s name from the American Society of Safety Engineers to the American Society of Safety Professionals. Per the chapter affiliation agreement, our chapter is required to utilize the organizational name and logo in accordance with policy and guidelines. ASSE members voted to amend Society bylaws to reflect the new name. As separately incorporated entities, chapters need to hold a separate chapter member vote to change the name in chapter governing documents, as well.
In the coming weeks and months, San Francisco Chapter Officers will facilitate this change which involves the following:
Phase I: Member Vote on Name Change
- Amend bylaws to reflect the new name
- Hold member vote to accept bylaws & approve new name in articles of incorporation
Phase II: Agreements with ASSE
- Sign Chapter Charter with new name
- Sign Chapter Affiliate Agreement with new name
- Sign Webhosting Contract with new name
Phase III: Filings
- Submit new name with federal tax filing
- Submit change of name form with incorporation filing
- Update name with financial institutions
To fulfill Step One, a notification of proposed bylaw changes and electronic vote will be organized by 1/2/18, which is 30 days in advance of when the vote will be held. Voting will take place 1 Feb through 15 March 2018.
Please be responsive to this vote on the bylaws as subsequent actions depend of this step being completed in a timely way. If you have questions, please contact me or other Board members directly.